What happens if I do not comply with the Party Wall Act?

You are obliged by law to serve notice under the Party Wall etc Act 1996 for any work which falls under the said Act.  Failure to serve a notice will generally result in your neighbour being able to get an injunction to stop you doing work and, also, the doctrine of strict liability will be followed, i.e. the neighbour will not be obliged to prove that your building works resulted in damage to their building but simply to say that their property is damaged and they reasonably believe that this is as a result of your building works.

Consequently, in order to provide protection for both parties, it is essential that the Party Wall etc Act 1996 procedures are followed.